If you brought your own clean jars or containers, get them weighed first by customer service or a cashier. (Of course, if you brought a very light bag or container you can skip this step.)
- Otherwise, look for the bags or containers provided in the bulk section.
- Clearly write the PLU (price look-up) code on your container or the twist tie. Also write the name of the item if you plan to reuse the bag or to help you remember what the item is. This is especially helpful for spices and look-alike grains. It can also help the cashier if the PLU is hard to read.
- Put as much as you want into your container. Watch out when lifting the lever for the bins that pour. Sometimes beans pour out faster than expected. Use a separate container for each item, even if they cost the same. This helps the store keep up with inventory.
- Screw on the lid, twist the twist tie, or otherwise close the container. Now you are ready to check out like usual.
- Next lesson: How to Buy Beans and other Groceries Online
- Top: Gain Key Skills with a Pound of Chickpeas
Recipes and food news
Subscribe for recipes, tips, and news.