My new organic vegan apple pie recipe is healthier than the Betty Crocker version I grew up with, with no animals products, some white whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour, and 25% less sugar. These changes improve the flavor, letting you taste the apples and the crust.
This juicy and fragrant organic pie costs just $1.23 cents a slice (one-eighth) or $9.83 for the whole pie, including the cost of the Sneaky Wheat Vegan Pie Crust. Yes, that means you can bake a whole pie for about the cost of a slice at a restaurant. And that restaurant pie will likely use conventionally grown apples and other ingredients. What a delicious bargain!
I’m so happy that I figured out how to make pie crust without butter so I can make pies again! What a way to celebrate Pi Day (March 14 or 3.14).
[Update June 2019: I originally figured six slices per pie, but my Taster and I found that was just too much. I’ve also switched to organic Miyoko’s Vegan Butter instead of less-expensive but not organic Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. The cost and nutritional information now reflect these changes.]
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||50 minutes|
|Passive Time||90 minutes|
- 4 large Granny Smith apples 6 cups cored and chopped
- 125 grams sugar 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon buttery spread
- Make Sneaky Wheat Vegan Pie Crust and use one crust to line a 9-inch pie plate. Quarter and core apples without peeling. Cut each quarter into about 16 pieces, making 3 slices lengthwise and 3 across. Leaving the peel on helps the apple pieces hold their shapes, adds nutrition, and saves you time. Put apples in a medium bowl.
- Put dry ingredients in a small bowl and stir to mix. Sprinkle over apples and toss to coat. Dump apples into the chilled pie shell, cover with waxed paper, and refrigerate.
- Roll out top crust, put it on the pie, seal, and slash as directed in the crust recipe. Refrigerate for 30 minutes or freeze for 10 minutes. Heat oven to 425 degrees F with an oven shelf in the middle position. If you have a pizza stone, put it on the middle shelf.
- After pie chills, put strips of aluminum foil around pie to keep crust from burning. (I save these strips and use them for years on pie after pie.) Bake pie for 35 minutes, remove foil, and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until crust is golden and juices start to bubble through slits in crust.
- Let pie cool to room temperature before serving so the apple juices can firm up, about an hour. Pie will cool faster on a trivet or gas stove burner that lets air flow beneath the pie pan. Cut pie into wedges and serve. Keeps covered at room temperature for 2 days or refrigerated for 4 to 5 days.
- Use other tart baking apples if you prefer,
- I keep my pie in a cake container, but you can also cover a baked pie with aluminum foil.
Nutritional Information for Vegan Apple Pie
The nutrition label is for one serving or one-eighth pie, without crust. (Find that information in the crust recipe.) Nutritional information is for supporting members and donors. If you don't see it below, log in or join today! Log in to comment, too.
This content is for members only.