I tweaked my usual blueberry breakfast smoothie to add calcium and potassium for healthy bones. Blueberries, parsley, and cinnamon start your day right from the first sip. The banana makes it creamy. It keeps you feeling great too with loads of Vitamins A and C, iron, and fiber. The omega-three fat from flaxseed fuels your brain without the toxins found in fish oil. The fiber feeds your microbiome and keeps your digestive system running strong. It travels well, too!
The Strong-Bones Smoothie costs just $2.84 for 24 ounces using organic ingredients. I’ve been having a full recipe for breakfast along with a cup of hibiscus tea and a half slice of toast with almond butter. I feel full until just before lunch. You can also share it and enjoy along with a full slice of toast or a bowl of oatmeal.
Update August 2019: I’ve replaced the orange juice in this smoothie with water or cantaloupe cubes. That’s because just four ounces of unsweetened fruit juice a day increases your risk of breast cancer by 22% … and this recipe used a full eight ounces! I’m also now using 1/6 package of extra-firm tofu instead of 1/5 package of silken tofu. They both blend up the same and it’s like getting a free slice of tofu once a week. I’ve updated the nutrition information and cost.
|Prep Time||8 minutes|
- 1 cup blueberries frozen or fresh
- 1 medium banana
- 2.3 ounces extra-firm tofu 1/6th of a 14 ounce box
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley or red cabbage, kale, or bok choy
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy.