Holiday potlucks seem overwhelming? This recipe for Precious Spice Carrots makes good use of your valuable time and delivers results worthy of a Solstice, Christmas, or New Year’s feast. I cut up whole carrots, but you can cut the prep time to less than five minutes by using whole baby carrots. Unusual spices add an exotic quality for pennies. A generous serving made with organic ingredients costs just 34 cents!
Make this healthy side dish seem extra special by using a holiday plate. I found this vintage Yule tree plate at the Penney Farms resale shop, back when we could still visit my beloved in-laws. I’m glad we celebrated so many holidays together.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||8 minutes|
- 1 pound carrots
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon buttery spread or coconut spread
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon salt optional
- Cut carrots lengthwise and then into half-moons about 1/4 inch thick. Put carrots in a microwave-safe container with remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Cover. (Make-ahead tip: you can refrigerate the dish for a day or two at this point, then cook just before serving.)
- Microwave on high until spread melts, about 3 minutes. Toss to coat carrots evenly in flavorings, then continue cooking until tender, about 5 minutes more. Cook long enough to banish any crunch and to bring out the natural sweetness of the carrots.
- Stir and serve hot or at room temperature on as festive a plate as you can muster. Keeps for five days refrigerated or up to a year frozen.