Cook peppers, onions, mushrooms, and salsa together to give yourself a flavorful jump-start on meals all week. This super-nutritious mix works well in tacos or burritos, sandwiches, with pasta, and even as a side dish or dip. The mushrooms cook down to create a savory base rich in umami. It’s hard to believe that this is a fat-free recipe.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 1/2 large red onion 1 1/2 cups peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 medium red bell peppers 2 1/4 cups cored, seeded, and chopped
- 4 medium white button mushrooms or baby bella mushrooms, 1/2 cup chopped
- 1/2 cup salsa such as Frontera Chipotle Salsa
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- Put chopped onion in a large skillet with water to keep it from sticking. Heat over medium-low heat. Add the bell peppers and mushrooms as you chop them, then add remaining ingredients. Stir occasionally.
- Cook until vegetables are tender and the sauce from the salsa and mushroom liquid is as thick as you like it, about 10 more minutes.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. Keeps refrigerated for a week.