I cooked up a big pot of basic kale and cabbage, then heated it up through the week with different additions for variety. My Taster appreciated the mild flavor of the cabbage. I like the cook-ahead aspect and how healthy this is, with no added fat and loads of fiber and phytonutrients. The basic kale and cabbage mixture costs about 64 cents a serving using organic ingredients.
Top with or mix in:
- Sriracha sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Chopped walnuts and raisins (about a tablespoon each per serving)
- Mashed potatoes (about half and half)
- Cooked white beans and a squirt of lemon juice
Number 7? Layer a well-drained spoonful with peanut butter on toasted bread for an adult sandwich, sriracha optional.
This recipe helps prevent food waste. Cabbage lasts for a long time, but kale can go bad in just a few days. Cooking it kills off any harmful bacteria and makes it last longer. Cooked kale and cabbage freezes well too. Use fresh mushrooms or my Mushroom and Garlic Cubes as a shortcut.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 1 medium red onion
- 2 tablespoons water
- 12 ounces kale
- 12 ounces green cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 4 medium mushrooms or 4 Mushroom and Garlic Cubes
- 2 cloves garlic omit if using M&G Cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried ground chipotle powder or smoked paprika (optional)
- Chop red onion and add to a large pot with two tablespoons water. Cook over medium-low heat until tender, about five minutes. Separate kale stems and leaves. Chop stems and stir into chopped onion.
- Chop kale leaves and cabbage, then stir into onions with remaining ingredients. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot with mix-ins as desired.
Nutritional Information for Kale and Cabbage
The nutrition label is for one serving without toppings or mix-ins. Nutritional information is for supporting members and donors. If you don't see it below, log in or join today! Log in to comment, too.
This content is for members only.