After the first week of my first Food-Stamp Challenge, I discovered that thrifty cooking had many benefits besides just saving money. I discovered the power of cooking with LOVE: Local Organic Vegetables and Engaged. Even on just $5 a day, I could afford the healthy, organic meals I wanted if I just focused on:
- Local, seasonal ingredients
- Vegetables and other plants, including fruit, whole grains, and nuts
- Engaged and mindful cooking that reduces food waste and supports my values
My husband loves that I cook fresh food and bake from scratch. We easily reached healthy weights and found our spending came lined up better with our values. Since 2007, I’ve tried many variations of budget challenges. Inflation has taken a toll, but the savings and core lessons are more important than ever. You can make a difference if you cook with LOVE.
The V in LOVE can be Vegetables, Vegetarian, or Vegan. Adopting a plant-based diet was a process for me, as it is for many people. Everyone is welcome on this friendly site, including vegetable-curious omniVores. All recipes are 100% plant-powered, so everyone can enjoy them.
You’ll love the health, your family will love the food, and our planet will love your tender care. Jump to any page below or start at the top and follow the next links at the bottom of each page.
- Why and how to cook local and seasonal food
- Organic food (introduction)
- Why eat vegetables and plants?
- How to be engaged and mindful as you shop and cook