Homemade organic Cashew Cream is a healthy, real-food way to jazz up endless recipes. It’s slightly sweet and nutty, with enough healthy fat to provide a satisfying mouthfeel. Use it in place of un-whipped whipping cream, yogurt, mayonnaise, and just as its own marvelous self as a garnish or in sauces and soups. The nutritional and cost comparison below the recipe shows that this is a healthy idea, but the proof is in the taste.
Recipe for Organic Cashew Cream
Active time: 3 minutes. Total time: 10 minutes or more. Makes 1 cup. Cost: $2.33 per cup. Gluten free, dairy free, and vegan.
- 1 cup organic raw cashews
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons water
- Soak cashews one of three ways:
- Super quick: Put cashews and water in a microwave-safe container, heat on high for 2 minutes, and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Quick: Put cashews and water into a high-speed blender or a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process for about 30 seconds. Let rest while cashews soften, about one hour.
- Plan ahead: Let cashews soak in water for several hours or overnight.
- Process cashews in a high-speed blender or a food processor fitted with a steel blade for about a minute on high until smooth, scraping down the sides if needed.
- Ready to serve immediately. Refrigerate within four hours. Keeps refrigerated for five days or frozen for a year.
- Organic cashew cream costs slightly less than organic heavy whipping cream, but is much healthier.
- The photos in this recipe show cashew cream made with a food processor. If you use a high-speed blender, the results will be even smoother.
|saturated fat (grams)||8||55|
Recipes and food news
Subscribe for recipes, tips, and news.