Here’s how to make organic bread in a bread machine with very little work and without heating up your home. Just dump wholesome ingredients into the baking pan, push a button or two, and wake up to fresh bread for toast and sandwiches.
My bread-machine recipe is based on my Good Whisk Bread, which gets its lightness and whole-grain nutrition with a mix of flours and wheat germ. It should work in any machine that calls about 3 1/2 cups of flour per loaf. I used this recipe on a Dak (Welbilt) machine for years until I wore it out. Now I use a Zojirushi I found on Craig’s List.
Bread Machine Bread Recipe, Whisk Style
Active time: 5 minutes. Total time: 3 hours. One loaf with about 8 round or square slices.
Cost: $1.70 a loaf or 22 cents for 1 slice, using mostly organic ingredients. (I can’t find organic wheat germ or sorghum.)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons rapid-rise or instant yeast (one packet)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (240 grams)
- 1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour (150 grams)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sorghum syrup or golden molasses
- 1/4 cup wheat germ (32 grams)
- 1 1/2 cup water
Follow the directions for your machine. The two bread machines I know how to use are such classics that you can no longer buy them new. The process was the same for both of them, though:
- Set up the machine, dump in the ingredients, and close the lid. Set the timer if you want, press start, and walk away.
- Let the machine do the kneading, keep track of the rising times, and do the baking.
- At your convenience when the bread is done, remove the pan, remove the bread, and slice it when you are ready to serve. Keeps at room temperature for about four days wrapped in a tea towel or a plastic bag or tucked into a bread box.
- For whole-wheat bread, use 3 1/2 cups (420 grams) white whole wheat flour or whole wheat flour. Leave out the all-purpose flour and wheat germ.
- For a slightly nutty flavor or if you are out of wheat germ, use 1/4 cup (32 grams) chickpea or garbanzo-bean flour instead of wheat germ.
Nutrition for one serving (1 slice or 1/8 recipe)
Protein 7 grams (15% daily value), total fat 1 grams (2%), cholesterol 0 grams, total carbohydrates 41 grams (14%), dietary fiber 4 grams (17%)
Calcium 37 mg (4%), iron 5 grams (27%), zinc 3 mg (21%), Vitamin C trace (0%), Vitamin A trace (0%), Vitamin B6 0.1 mg (7%), Folacin 103 mcg (26%)
Recipes and food news
Subscribe for recipes, tips, and news.