Drink local and fresh with homemade agua fresca: the "fresh water" drink popular in Mexico. This version uses just watermelon, lime juice, and mint. This healthy alternative to sodas or powdered drink mixes also makes quick work of extra watermelon. Spike it with vodka or rum if the spirits move you.
Watermelon-and-Mint Agua Fresca Summer Drink
Active time: 5 minutes. Total time: 5 minutes. Makes 2 servings. Shown above with Chilly Chili Watermelon Salsa.
- 4 cups watermelon chunks, any dark seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (juice from 2 small limes)
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint leaves, plus two sprigs for garnish
- Put all ingredients except garnish in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Strain through a fine sieve into glasses, using the back of a spoon to press juice out of the fruit pulp. Add ice cubes and mint sprigs and serve cold.