What does a superhero have for breakfast? Maybe an amazing Super-Food Smoothie. Making a big batch helped tame the crazy amount of produce I bought at the market on Saturday. I grab a jar for breakfast, then go power around the swimming pool like Super Cook!
Just a short workout with the blender lets you pack a lot of nutrition into easy-grab jars. Have one for breakfast, a mid-afternoon break, or dessert. Because it freezes well, it's also an great answer to the question of what do to when you couldn't resist buying two giant cantaloupes (only five dollars!). If fact, it freezes so well that you can use it to make Rocket Super-Food Ice Pops.
The ingredients are pure super fruits and vegetables: blueberries, cantaloupe, kale, and ginger. These nutrient-packed foods help your body stay lean and strong, with a healthy heart, sharp eyes, and a strong memory. They're also packed with antioxidants that help your cells recover from damage, lowering your risk of cancer. Best of all, Super-Food Smoothies taste great, so you can start your day with a Super Smile!
Active time: 10 minutes. Total time: 10 minutes. Makes 6 cups.
These quantities are approximate, sized for a 40-ounce blender. See the method below to make the quantities work for your blender.
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 5 cups cantaloupe pieces
- 2 cups kale
- 1/4 cup basil
- 2 cups blueberries or blackberries
- Peel ginger and cut it crossways into thin slices. Start the blender and drop the ginger in while the motor runs. Stop the blender after ginger quits bouncing around.
- Fill the blender with cantaloupe cut into pieces about two inches across and blend until liquid. There will now be nearly 3 cups of room at the top of the blender.
- Top off the blender with basil and coarsely chopped kale and blend. Voilà! More space at the top of the blender.
- Add blueberries and blend until smooth and deeply colored.
- Have some smoothie now and refrigerate the rest. Keeps for five days refrigerated. Freezes well for up to six months.