Use just two ingredients and ten minutes to make this colorful, healthy vegetable side dish. It's pretty enough for your holiday table and a light balance to heavy fare.
Active time: 10 minutes. Total time: 15 minutes. Serves 4.
4 cups red cabbage, sliced very thin (250 grams)
2 sweet cooking apples (Fuji, Gala, Pink Ladies) (400 grams)
- Rinse red cabbage and slice it very thin. Put cabbage in a microwave-safe bowl, cover, and microwave on high for three minutes. The water clinging to the cabbage will turn to steam.
- Slice apples into quarters and core. Cut each quarter lengthwise two or three times and then across into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Put apples on top of cabbage, cover, and microwave on high for five more minutes, until apples and cabbage are tender.
- Toss to mix, then serve hot or at room temperature. Keeps for four days refrigerated.
Recipe tips and notes
- For more zing and to keep cabbage from turning blue when you cook it, sprinkle it with a little vinegar before cooking and toss to coat the leaves.
- If you already have your food processor out for another recipe, use it to slice the cabbage, making this recipe even quicker.
- Make extra Purple Cabbage with Apples for a quick lunch the next day. Just tuck a handful into a pita with hummus.
- Fun fact: the same variety of red-cabbage seeds will produce red cabbage in acidic soil and greenish-yellow cabbage on alkaline soil.
Hungry for more? Get my books. Buying them through these links supports the Cook for Good project. Thanks!
Fifty Weeks of Green: Romance & Recipes and
Wildly Affordable Organic: Eat Fabulous Food, Get Healthy, and Save the Planet--All on $5 a Day or Less