Carrots add color and sweetness to kale in this nutritional powerhouse. It's fast enough for a week night and pretty enough for an Easter buffet.
Kale with Carrots Recipe
Active time: 15 minutes. Total time: 25 minutes. Serves 4. Cost: 83 cents per serving. Vegan and gluten free.
1 clove garlic
1/4 teaspoon olive oil (optional, see notes)
1 yellow onion
12 ounces kale (about one bunch)
- Mince garlic and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium-low heat. Chop onion and cook in the pot until tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Meanwhile, cut carrots lengthwise and then into 1/4-inch half moons. Stir into onions.
- Remove stems from kale, chop into 1/4-inch pieces, and add to pot. Cut kale leaves into ribbons about 1/2-inch wide and 3-inches across.
- Add garlic to onions and stir, top with kale ribbons, and cover. Reduce heat to low. Cook until leaves are tender, about 10 minutes, stirring once after about 5 minutes.
- Serve hot. Refrigerate any extra for up to 5 days.
To cook with even less oil, spritz a little oil from a home-filled oil pump or cook onion in a teaspoon or two of water. I don't recommend factory-made spray oil because of the cost and waste.