This quick and filling recipe helps you get dinner on the table in a flash. Kidney beans provide extra protein and chew that will delight omnivores on Meatless Mondays and anyone looking for a heart-healthy and robust dinner. Serve with a salad or simple vegetable for a complete meal.
We ate Pasta with Kidney Beans and Tomato Sauce many, many times during our recent trip to eastern Europe, where the ingredients were easy to find and recognize even in small Czech neighborhood shops.
Active time: 8 minutes. Total time: 15 minutes. Serves 4. Vegan. Gluten free if you use gluten-free noodles.
3 cups whole wheat rotini or other short noodle of your choice
one 15-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
one 18- to 25-ounce jar pasta sauce with tomatoes and your choice of plant-based flavorings, such as mushrooms or bell peppers
- Put rotini in a medium pot with water and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring rotini to a boil over high heat in a covered pot. Remove lid the moment pot boils, reduce heat to medium, and cook for two minutes. Reduce heat to low and cook for six minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat pasta sauce and kidney beans in a medium pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally. If sauce starts to boil, reduce heat to simmer.
- Drain pasta and stir into sauce. Let it rest for a minute or two so sauce flavors pasta.
- Serve hot. Refrigerate any extra. Reheat in a pot over medium low heat or in a microwave.
- Shortcut: save washing a pot by stirring room-temperature sauce and beans into cooked pasta and heating until warm. Stir frequently to avoid burning the bottom of the pot.
- Shortcut: use hot water from pasta to quick-cook broccoli florets in two or three minutes. Either pour hot pasta water over broccoli in a heat-proof container or scoop pasta into the sauce pot and plunge broccoli into pasta water.
- Top with fortified nutritional yeast if desired for cheesy flavor and vitamin B12.
- Of course you can use homemade tomato sauce and home-cooked kidney beans instead of the canned and bottled options listed above. If you made them ahead, this recipe will still be super quick and easy.