Start your day with a hearty breakfast high in lysine and healthy fats. It may help you ward off shingles, cold sores, and viruses as part of a high lysine, low arganine diet. I enjoy this with a fruit smoothie to stay energized through lunch. This potato also makes a good side dish at lunch or dinner.
Active time: 5 minutes. Total time: 8 minutes. Serves 1.
1 medium potato, such as a Yukon Gold
1/2 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
salt and pepper as desired
- Scrub potato and poke with a fork five or six times to let steam escape while it cooks. Put in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Turn potato over and microwave on high until a fork goes easily through it, usually 1 or 2 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice avocado and set out other ingredients.
- When potato is cooked, split in half and sprinkle with nutritional yeast and avocado. Mash avocado with a fork if desired. Taste and add salt and pepper if desired.
- If your potatoes are organic, eat the skin. It contains most of the fiber, vitamins, and other nutritional goodness in the potato. Upgrading to organic potatoes usually costs very little and gives a great value for the investment.
- Make-ahead tip: bake or boil several whole potatoes in advance and just reheat briefly in the microwave.
- Avoiding microwaves? Use baked or boiled potatoes hot from the oven or pot.