Layer hummus on raw pizza dough, top with tomato sauce and partly cooked butternut squash, and bake for a low-fat, fully satisfying meal. Serve this plant-strong pizza at your Super Bowl party. I bet no one will ask "where's the cheese?" See tips below for other toppings.
Dairy-Free Pizza with Hummus and Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- dough for one pizza (such as the no-knead Whisk Pizza Dough in Wildly Affordable Organic)
- 1 cup Hummus
- 1 1/2 cup No-Fuss Pizza Sauce
- Put a baking stone or a heavy cookie sheet, rim side down, on the bottom rack of your oven. Move the other racks to the top or take them out of the oven so you have room to work. Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Cut butternut squash in half where the neck flares into the bulb. Save the bulb for another purpose. Peel neck of squash and cut into 1/4-inch cubes. Line a cooking sheet with parchment paper, put squash cubes on lined cookie sheet, and toss with olive oil. Spread into a single layer and roast until deep orange but not brown, about 10 minutes.
- Roll out pizza dough between two pieces of well-floured parchment paper. Spread with hummus and then with pizza sauce.
- Top with butternut squash and bake until pizza edges start to brown and sauce bubbles, about 14 minutes.
- Hummus and butternut-squash pizza is best served hot, but is also good the next day at room temperature for lunch. Refrigerate any extra for up to four days or freeze.
- Other toppings. Pre-roast or sauté onions, bell peppers, or mushrooms to use with or instead of butternut squash. Rip Esselstyn, the plant-strong firefighter, suggests setting up an array of raw toppings and letting each person customize their pizza.
- Save time and energy by roasting more vegetables with the butternut squash. In the picture below, I've roasted potatoes and the bottom of the squash.
Hungry for more? Get my books. Buying them through these links supports the Cook for Good project. Thanks!
Fifty Weeks of Green: Romance & Recipes and
Wildly Affordable Organic: Eat Fabulous Food, Get Healthy, and Save the Planet--All on $5 a Day or Less