Back during the height of the dot-com boom, my company had a retreat at a luxurious resort in Phoenix. This soup reminds me of the rich-tasting yet super-healthy food served there. The avocado makes the texture creamy and adds flavor and nutrition for relatively few calories. Serve it chilled in your best bowls for spa-cuisine elegance.
Recipe for Creamy Cucumber and Avocado Soup
Active time: 5 minutes. Total time: 5 minutes, plus more for chilling if desired. Serves 4..
- 1 pound cucumbers
- 1 ripe Haas or California avocado
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- cherry tomatoes, mint leaves, chives, swirl of cashew cream for garnish (optional)
- Check each cucumber for bitterness by cut off each end and tasting. Peel the bitter ones. Cut cucumbers across into two-inch sections and put in a blender or food processor.
- Quarter and peel avocado, discarding peel and seed. Put avocado flesh into blender with lemon juice and salt. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve at once or refrigerate to serve chilled later. If chill is your thrill, press plastic wrap onto the surface of the soup to prevent browning.