Use Coconut Dream coconut drink plus vinegar in place of buttermilk for this no-cholesterol cornbread. Green onions add sparkle. [New alternative: go super-thrifty by making your own coconut milk. I'm going to try using water and 1/2 cup dried coconut.]
Active time: 10 minutes. Total time: 40 minutes. Serves 6, with one generous wedge or two muffins each.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon finely ground flax seed
3 tablespoons water
1 3/4 cup Coconut Dream coconut milk or other plant milk
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 cups cornmeal (265 grams)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup green onions, cut into 1/4 inch rounds (60 grams)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Put oil into a cast-iron skillet or a 9-inch metal cake pan, then put skillet into the oven.
- Make a flax egg by mixing flax seed with water and heating in a microwave-safe container on high for 40 seconds. Stir to develop eggy consistency.
- Whisk flax egg with coconut drink and vinegar until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in green onions. Add the liquid mixture and stir just until combined. Immediately pour batter into hot skillet. Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown, about 30 minutes.
- Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. Best eaten fresh, but keeps covered at room temperature for a day or two and freezes well.
Tips and notes
- If you use this recipe to make corn muffins, do not preheat the muffin tin. Bake corn muffins for about 25 minutes.