We're in that sweet spot just before Memorial Day, just the time to break our your shorts and relax with a fruit smoothie. Ripe fruit makes it sweet. Chard provides a whiff of green, like freshly mown grass in an orchard. No fillers, no added sugar, no cholesterol, low calorie, low fat, all good. Enjoy!
Beach Smoothie with Strawberries, Blueberries, Banana, and Chard
Active time: 5 minutes. Total time: 5 minutes. Yield: 3 cups or 2 servings. Low fat, vegan, quick.
- 1 banana
- 2 cups whole strawberries
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1 cup water
- 1 heaping cup chard or spinach
- Put all ingredients in a blender, cover, and blend until smooth. Putting softer fruit on the bottom and greens on top helps it blend better. Turn the blender off and use a spatula if needed to nudge ingredients into the vortex.
- Serve cold. Refrigerate extra for a day or two if you must, but the smoothie is prettiest and most nutritious right after blending.
- If your chard has thick stems, just use the leaves and save the stems for another recipe.
- I'm using fresh strawberries and frozen blueberries because that's what's at the market now. In a few weeks, I'll be using fresh blueberries and frozen strawberries.
- This recipe shows one of the benefits of making your own food: mixing and matching based on your budget and what ingredients are available. Today:
- My organic ingredients are the strawberries, chard, and banana
- My local ingredients are strawberries and chard.