Use the broth from cooking chickpeas (aquafaba) in place of eggs and milk for a light, healthy banana bread. No need to whip it up, just mix it with the other wet ingredients. This tea cake is utterly delicious, especially when toasted and spread with peanut butter for breakfast. Get the recipe and nutritional information below.
Aquafaba banana bread recipe
Active time: 18 minutes. Total time: 1 hour and 10 minutes. Cost: $0.48 a slice and $5.76 a loaf using organic ingredients. Makes one loaf. Vegan.
3 small ripe bananas (400 grams)
1/3 cup chickpea aquafaba
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons sunflower seed oil or other neutral vegetable oil
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
2 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (300 grams)
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (165 grams)
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (30 grams)
shortening for the pan
- Preheat oven to 350°F with a rack in the center of the oven. Grease a 9 x 5 x 3-inch loaf pan.
- Mash bananas in a mixing bowl, then stir in other wet ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, stir flour and baking powder until well mixed. Stir in brown sugar, breaking up any lumps with the back of your spoon. Stir dry ingredients and walnuts into wet ingredients until just combined. If you stir too much, the bread will be less tender. Pour batter into the pan and smooth with a spoon.
- Bake for 65 minutes, until top is golden and a skewer or toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let pan cool on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove banana bread and let it cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- Serve at room temperature or toasted. Keeps wrapped and refrigerated for a week.
Make a difference when you cook
- Bake banana bread instead of making a doughnut run to stay slim and healthy. This bread has just 228 calories a slice, compared to a Krispy Kreme glazed lemon doughnut with 340 calories (190 from fat) or a double dark chocolate with 400 calories (180 from fat).
- You can afford to eat organic. A slice of this bread costs just 48 cents, compared to $1.17 for a doughnut. And that's banana bread with organic ingredients and top-quality bananas. This bread is sweeter with the "must sell" ripe bananas sometimes available at a discount.
- Use aquafaba instead of eggs and make your own apple cider vinegar from apple cores to reduce suffering and to shrink your carbon footprint.