Cook for Good Community Forum > Hot Italian Cocoa Cookies - flax egg?

Hi, I tried to make the Hot Italian Cocoa Cookies and they did not flatten out when baked. They cracked but remained in ball form. I did everything the recipe said but i am wondering how long does the flax "egg" combined with the olive oil and vanilla need to be stirred? The cookies were good despite not flattening out. Thanks.

May 11, 2014 | Registered Commenterdlb0411

Thanks for baking the Hot Italian Cocoa Cookies, Dlb0411, and for sharing your experience. It sounds like the cookies needed a little bit more moisture. Did you measure your flour using a scale? If not (and for most people, it's not!), then it's easy to put in more flour than the liquid will balance. If you are using a measuring cup for the flour, stir it up a bit in the canister or bag, then spoon it into the cup and level the flour off with a knife or flat edge of a measuring spoon.

On the other hand, it could have just been a dry day or extra-powerful flaxseed! It's fine to flatten the cookies with a fork before baking if you want to make sure they spread.

To answer your specific question, I stir the wet and dry ingredients together just long enough so no dry spots remain and the batter is smooth. If you stir too much, the gluten in the wheat starts to link up, forming the network that makes bread chewy and cookies tough.

Your cookies support my theory that home cooking is tasty, even when it doesn't turn out quite as expected. Happy baking! ... Linda

May 12, 2014 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson