Cook for Good Community Forum > Gluten free?

Great book. A lot of work went into this. I was immediately struggling with how to modify the bread items. Maybe substitute corn bread and rice flour crepes or flat bread? (I can make rice four myself) Anyone else dealing with this issue? Prepared GF items from the grocery store are not cost-effective for this program. Maybe use more grain sides and cooked cereal instead?

Mar 25, 2014 | Registered Commenterfiregirl

I know this is a late reply, but I've just recently switched to a sugar-free, gluten-free diet. I love the WAO recipes so much, and am curious about how Linda would advise to alter these recipes; stevia instead of sugar? As for the gluten-free breads, I'm challenged to find one that adheres to the sugar-free rule as well. Anyone's reply is much appreciated!

Aug 24, 2017 | Registered Commenterrznord

Thanks so much, Rznord! (Dear Firegirl, I'm sorry I didn't see your earlier post until just now!) For the sugar, I would start by reducing the sugar as much as your taste allows and then keep reducing it as you become accustomed to enjoying flavors other than sugar sweet. I no longer add sugar to the peanut sauce in Spicy Peanut Noodles, for example. I haven't tried stevia but have read that it is a good one-to-one replacement for sugar for cookie recipes and other baked goods where sugar provides structure. You can also use apple sauce and bananas to provide sweetness.

For the gluten-free, I'd substitute potatoes, sweet potatoes, quinoa, oatmeal, and other non-gluten grains for wheat products. My gluten-free pumpkin pie would be good if you used slow-baked sweet potatoes instead of pumpkin and skipped the sugar. Be careful about eating too much rice and rice flour because of the arsenic content. Cook the rice you do cook in a lot of water, then drain it as the post describes. As for bread, have you tried arepas? They are like pitas made with a special corn flour, usually gluten-free. Hope this helps!

Aug 24, 2017 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson