Cook for Good Community Forum > Kitchen table: introduce yourself and welcome others

Share a little about what brings you here. Where do you live? Are you cooking for one or a crowd? What's new in your life? What kind of food do you love? How did you learn to cook? Vanilla or chocolate?

Oct 5, 2012 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson

Hello! I live in Raleigh, NC. Cooking for a growing number (3 one on the way), which answers what is new in my life as well. :-) I love all kinds of food, always looking for new things to try. I learned to cook at my Mom's and Grandmother's side. And to answer the most important question.... Hmmm depends on my mood, but usually chocolate.

Looking forward to talking with all of you!

Oct 23, 2012 | Registered Commentermuddles

Hi. I transplanted from Charlotte, NC to Jacksonville, FL 14 years ago. I am cooking for a family of 8 with 6 very picky eaters. This is a whole new experience for me. I have been following the cook to live sight for several years now and I am slowly incorporating things into our diet. I have to say the pie crust from the Wildly Affordable Organics book is the best pie crust I've made. It has become a staple for quiche. Linda thank you for all your hard work.

Nov 26, 2012 | Registered Commentermom2sixduzees

I can't even remember where I found your book, WAO, but I am so glad I did! I just moved back to my hometown of New Orleans, LA and am now cooking for my sick mother and younger sister. I'm young myself and have never cooked for a household before and your book is so helpful! I was afraid that cooking earth-friendly would be too expensive, thanks for showing me the way!

Apr 4, 2014 | Registered Commenterturtle

Dear Turtle, welcome and good luck! We're in the kitchen with you in spirit, cooking for your mother and sister. I visited your wonderful hometown last year. So beautiful and delicious! I'm sending you hopes for strength and joy as you help your family.

Apr 8, 2014 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson

Hello, I live in Crystal Lake, IL. My husband and I have been trying to eat more beans and healthier. I just baked my first no-knead whisk bread! It turned out pretty good for the first time! We are slowly weaning off meat and hoping to cook more affordably. Also I wanted to know what size freezer is a good size to store food in. I am looking forward to trying more recipes! Oh, and the black bean chili is awesome! Thanks!

Apr 30, 2014 | Registered Commenterdlb0411

Welcome, Dlb0411! Sounds like you are in the right place! As for the best freezer size, that's a big "it depends." Always make space for your Stoup container and a few containers of homemade bean stews so you don't have to cook from scratch every night. Then make the most of even a tiny freezer by feeding it through the seasons. In the spring, freeze strawberries. In the summer, freeze blueberries, peaches, bell peppers, and pesto. In the fall, freeze pumpkin and bean dishes made with the pre-frost bell peppers and other veggies. In the winter, freeze cookies and bread to eat when it's too hot to cook in the summer. Don't waste precious freezer space on processed junk food. I have the small side-by-side freezer shown in the Stoup post and, as a luxury, a very small, old above-the-fridge freezer in the refrigerator my Taster Man uses for his film.

May 1, 2014 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson

Is this forum still going? All I see are posts from 2014. I'm Terry, I'm in Omaha, NE. Just got Wildly AFfordable Organic and hoping to transition to almost meat-free cuisine. I have nothing against eating meat (I like it) but I think morally it's ecologically questionable these days, not to mention health questions.Won't go vegan, though. Anyway, I"ll check back here to see if there's anybody here.

Jun 6, 2016 | Registered Commenterterry

Terry, thanks for posting and making such a wonderful transition. The forum is still live but not very active as you can see. People do post on the individual recipes and blog posts. I'll put a mention in this week's newsletter.

Jun 9, 2016 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson