Cook for Good Community Forum > Cooking with almond milk

Can the vanilla and chocolate puddings be made with almond milk? I don't know if almond milk can be cooked or heated up. I made the chocolate pudding tonight with 2% milk and it was delicious but I'd like a vegan alternative.

Mar 20, 2012 | Registered Commentercitygirl

Citygirl, it's delicious with Coconut Dream original coconut drink, (not to be confused with the high-fat coconut milk that comes in cans which is great for curries). You can heat the almond milk and all the other plant milks, but I found that the almond milk tasted too thin and metallic. There may be a better brand than the one I tried, though. I also like the pudding made with part coconut drink and part cashew cream ... rich!

Mar 22, 2012 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson

Where do you get the Coconut Dream? Do you use the sweetened or the unsweetened?

Apr 5, 2012 | Registered Commentercharlottevetter

I get Coconut Dream at Whole Foods, but I've also spotted it at some regular grocery stores. I use the unsweetened so I don't have to change my recipes much. Once I bought vanilla by mistake and used it for pudding, just cutting down on the sugar and vanilla.

Apr 5, 2012 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson

Hi I have made things like mashed potatoes and oatmeal with almond milk and found it very good. I really like it with oatmeal. It gave it a creamy taste. I used Diamond Breeze brand at the time.

Aug 28, 2012 | Registered Commenterjustelisabeth