Cook for Good Community Forum > new challenge!

Hello- just looking to connect with some other folks who are doing the challenge.
I have done a lot of cooking from scratch but I need help planning. That is where I think the book and site will come in handy. My partner and I run a farm and we both work full-time so I need to plan and be able to come up with healthy, good tasting meals pretty fast.
We do eat some local meat (and raise our own chickens on pasture) and I use canned salmon for some healthy omega-3's - can't get good fish here in the country of southern Minnesota!
I would like to hear from others and find out what your goals are and how you are doing.
Thanks!
Greg

Jul 17, 2011 | Registered Commentergreg

My family did the challenge last month, and we're doing the summer menu from the book now.
I'm at home with a baby and my husband is out from work with a back injury, so money is a major motivator for us. I've loved to cook since I was a teenager, and I've worked in a bakery, but I REALLY needed help with the planning. Also, my husband and son are very picky eaters so I've adjusted a lot of the recipes (no tomatoes except the occasional marinara or pizza sauce).

We eat meat and fish, though not often. For this month I bought (all local) some andouille for the kidney beans, bacon for the black beans, lard for the refried beans, some Italian turkey sausage for the pizza, and some chickens (bones with almost all the meat cut off) for broth. The local chicken farmer gives me a great price on the chickens. I'm on WIC, so we get free milk, cheese, peanut butter, and tuna. We eat tuna salad sandwiches on bean salad days. I haven't figured out how to make bean salad yet :)

Jul 18, 2011 | Registered CommenterMelanie

I was so excited to read about the Cook for Good Challenge, and so disappointed to realize I had to buy the book. I know most people don't think $10 is a lot, and I'm sure it's worth it, but I just don't have it. :(

Jul 24, 2011 | Registered Commenterliscat

To Liscat, please ask your local library or a group you belong to get copies of Wildly Affordable Organic to share. For community members who do have extra money, please consider donating copies to your local library, food bank, or similar places.

Ten dollars can be a lot! I hope you'll continue to cook from the free recipes that are on the site and in the weekly newsletter. I'd love to have grant support so we could have Challenge scholarships, complete with groceries and cooking equipment for folks who need it.

Jul 25, 2011 | Registered CommenterLinda Watson

I like to share some of my good experience in cooking, i was not that much cook but when i get a chance to part of inhomecookinglessons that is the best best thing for me, i simply now kind of perfect home cook, by help of them, so its the best thing and simply want to share, thanks.

Apr 15, 2014 | Registered Commenterlokenramji12