Please help stop this bill
- Read details from the Carolina Farm Stewardship Association and Food and Water Watch.
- If you live in North Carolina, contact Senator Tillis, who is on the Senate Agriculture Committee: (202) 224-6342 or email.
- If your senator is on the committee, contact him or her.
- Food and Water Watch suggests we contact Senator Debbie Stabenow of Michigan, who has a key swing vote on the committee. This link has a great script for your call or email.
As I wrote recently on GMO labeling, approved GM traits in the US do not focus on drought. Instead, they allow plants to:
- Poison bugs that eat them with a protein originally found in Bt bacteria. This means every bite you take has pesticides in it, ones which you can't wash off.
- Thrive despite being doused by Roundup or other herbicides, allowing farmers to weed fields chemically. This means the crops have traces of herbicides and that the ground and water are becoming increasingly contaminated.
Last year, the World Health Organization listed glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, as a probable carcinogen. Glyphosate also been linked to increases in birth defects, autism, digestive problems, and even killing monarch butterflies. It's persistent, too, appearing in the rain, rivers, tap water, and even breast milk.